I used to create quite a bit of wellness content when I was in Bangkok with Courtney Bentley, but since moving back to Canada and away from Courtney’s motivation and support (I’m basically a child), I have struggled to get into a regular routine of eating right and working out. Several months and like a billion pounds gained later, summer is almost here and it’s time to get my butt into gear.
Andrea reached out to me a little while ago and it was almost perfect timing; not only is she the founder of Good Life Juice here on Vancouver Island, but she’s a yoga teacher, practices mindfulness and meditation and is an advocate for healthy living in general. Andrea in my life is just what I need.
I cleansed with juice in the past and until recently was honestly still a bit sceptical about it all. With this in mind, it was really refreshing to experience Andrea’s open minded approach to working juice into people’s lives. She understands that every lifestyle is unique and that not all are able to “cleanse” in the same way. At one point during our chat she even spoke about removing the word “cleanse” from the juice narrative which I found refreshing to hear, having always felt that it isn’t the clearest of concepts.
There is an endless supply of information on the internet about cleansing, as well as Good Life Juice‘s own resources which can be found here. Rather than going into details which are better explained using the linked resources, I’m going to talk about what my Good Life Juice cleanse meant to me, as well as all the unexpected but beneficial surprises that came with it.
My custom cleanse included 7 juices a day, 2 of which were “Nut Mylks” and tasted absolutely incredible. My favourite drink came in the afternoons and included vanilla and coffee (yes, coffee). That little addition of caffeine into my cleanse made the whole thing feel tailored just to me. At the end of the day, Andrea really just wanted to create something that would have me feeling my best and why torture ourselves in that pursuit? The whole point of this is wellness.
With my 7 drinks a day accompanied by water and herbal tea, I wasn’t ever truly “hungry”. One of the best things about taking part in a juice cleanse is that it sort of removes any bad habitual eating habits you may have developed and allows you to feel when your body actually needs sustenance.
Along with breaking bad habits, the juice cleanse also helped me to clean out my digestive system (I can’t think of a nicer way to put it). Through eating lots of fibre during the pre-cleanse and then drinking only juice during the cleanse, my body was able to flush out any buildup in my intestines (which can be up to 10 pounds!) Sorry for the grossness, but it’s actually very satisfying.
Anyways, all this aside, the most fun part of the cleanse was the little surprises it had in store. I came across a number of unexpected perks from juice cleansing that just might make you consider doing one yourself.
- Not having to eat. It’s surprising how much time you can save by never having to sit down for a meal. Sipping juice all day while you’re on the go is a very efficient way of living.
- Never having to decide what to eat. For an indecisive person like me, the process of deciding what to eat can take just as long as eating it. I must admit, there was significantly less anxiety in my life when I didn’t have to choose between Italian or Japanese.
- Under-eye dark circles gone. I have no idea why. It could be the lack of alcohol, increased hours of sleep, or huge amount of leafy greens I was ingesting during the cleanse, but for the first time in as long as I can remember, I had no dark circles under my eyes. I’m sad to say they came back pretty quickly when I started eating food again.
- Tasty deliciousness. Although the juices are packed with things like spinach and kale, they all have some ingredient which makes them enjoyable. The only juice I didn’t like was the one that tasted like carrots, but that’s just my personal dislike of carrot juice.
- Not spending money. Although juice cleanses may seem pricey when you buy them, once you have the juice you won’t be spending any money on food until the cleanse is complete. You could literally go the entire time without spending a dime.
- Sleeping well. There was something about this process that had me sleeping a solid 8 hours each night which was lovely.
- A good conversation topic. When you always have a juice in your hand people tend to ask you about it. It’s safe to say that I never really felt at a loss for small talk while on the cleanse.
- Less time spent on phone. It’s tricky to lurk Instagram when you’re always holding a juice. Think of it as a phone detox too!
- Not having a hangover. I love my wine a little too much and even 1 glass has me feeling it the next day, so waking up 100% was really quite nice.
- Balanced Energy. Consistently consuming something every few hours definitely helped prevent those highs and lows you feel from eating less frequent, larger meals.
What about you? Have you done a juice cleanse? Let me know if you have some more things to add!
In the meantime, stay tuned for my next segment with Good Life Juice in which we are going to talk about something I’ve never actually covered on the blog before, but is one of my most important daily habits: mindfulness meditation!
I will also be attending their FESTIVUS this summer and I can’t wait to share it with you. If you’re on the island, I hope to see you there too.